Merrell was established in 1981 when two executives for the Rossignol ski company, Clark Matis and John Schweizer, decided to launch a new maker of hiking boots, The pair decided to join forces with Randy J. Merrell (R.J. Merrell), a maker of highly praised custom boots which retailed for $500 a pair. Matis set to work designing a more affordable high-performance boot, which was developed in 1982. Plans were made for production of the new line in factories located in Italy, a leading exporter of footwear to the world market at the time.
• Rant shoe is uniquely suited to the city on a bike and hike.
• Textile uppers combined with quality skin provides all-day comfort.
• Nylon arch support ensures a natural bend of the foot and better stability.
• Merrell Air Cushion damping in the foot portion provides increased absorption and shock stability.
• M-Select TM Grip excellent adhesion to the ground.